Apple Cake Sundae – A simple, yet delicious fall treat! Homemade apple cake topped with vanilla bean ice cream and a caramel sauce drizzle!
Welcome to Freaky Friday – Fall Edition! This is my first time participating and I am so exciting to be sharing a recipe from the fantastic blog Honey and Birch! Freaky Friday is where a bunch of bloggers are all assigned different blogs and we make a recipe from their site to share! None of us know who is assigned to our site so it ends up a fun surprise and a great way to get to know each other and our sites better!
Here’s the full list of participants
An Affair from the Heart – Rustic Harvest Stew
Honey and Birch was created by Jenny and it has a whole bunch of amazing easy recipes and cocktails! She is a self-taught cook who learned to cook when she met her husband! Make sure to go check out her site, it’s really great!
Choosing a recipe to make was so hard because there were so many that sounded delicious (like the Pumpkin Pie Spice Nuts and Autumn Spiced Rum Cider Cocktail) but I eventually decided on this Apple Cake Sundae after much deliberation and wow, it was a wonderful decision! The cake was so delicious and combined with the ice cream/caramel, it was truly the perfect fall treat! I sprinkled a bit of cinnamon and chopped pecans too! I kept the recipe exactly the same as the original except I was a bit lazy and didn’t peel the apple!
I loved how easy this whole dessert was to make and there was quite a few servings here so I had dessert for days! I used this as a chance to try out that Halo Top Ice Cream that I kept seeing everywhere online! I would happily get some again!
Apple Cake Sundae
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups apple roughly chopped (peeled and cored)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Pinch of cardamom
- Vanilla ice cream
- Caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease an 8×8 pan.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, white sugar, and melted butter using a wooden spoon. Slowly add in egg and vanilla and once well combined, add in dry ingredients. Fold in apples.
- Transfer batter to pan and place in oven. Bake 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool 10-15 minutes before scooping cake and ice cream into a bowl and drizzling with caramel sauce! Enjoy!
Original recipe from Honey and Birch