Lemon Sweet Rolls – Everything you love about a cinnamon roll, but with lemon flavors instead! They have a sweet, sticky lemon filling topped with a vanilla buttercream frosting!
My favorite food is hands-down cinnamon rolls. I just think they are the greatest thing ever for literally every meal. We make breakfast for dinner here a lot so either we get a can of premade ones or I make some from scratch. Somehow, I have yet to actually make a post about them just because it’s either late at night and the lighting on photos would be horrible or what not. I ended up adapting my normal cinnamon roll recipe to be more of a simple lemon sweet roll because I thought it was time to branch out into sweet rolls. I had tried making a batch completely from scratch this summer, they were supposed to be strawberry sweet rolls, but they turned out so bad and really just lacked any flavor. I ended up tossing most of those out as no one at my house even dared to try them. But these are different! These are actually really delicious and SO easy to make! You don’t need to knead any dough and they only take 30 minutes! Crazy, right? I topped these with a little bit of lemon zest for a pop of color which is totally optional but it adds to the overall aesthetic!
After a long day of class, my friend came over for dinner that night. I decided to make these sweet rolls, bacon, and little potatoes (my favorite side dish!) as a surprise. The feast was a hit and all of the lemon sweet rolls were devoured! We both agreed that these were a hit and will be on the menu again in the future! I’m all for quick and easy meals that can be made after class so anything that fits those parameters is fair game.
30 Minute Lemon Sweet Rolls
- 1 can pizza dough
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- 1/8 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400°F and spray 8″ circular pan with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar, ginger, and lemon juice.
- Spread filling evenly across the pizza dough.
- Slice pizza dough into 6 pieces along the shorter side of the rectangular pizza dough.
- Roll dough slices and place into pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- While sweet rolls are baking, combine cream cheese, vanilla, and butter in a bowl and mix together using a hand mixer.
- Slowly add in confectioners’ sugar until combined.
- Take out rolls and let cool before frosting!